Long Term Independent Study Request
Terms of Agreement
Per Assembly Bill (AB) 130 for the 2021-2022 School Year
As a student, parent, guardian, I understand that…
- Enrollment in the Independent Studies program is an optional educational alternative in which no student may be required to participate (Education Code 51747, 51749.5)
- No individual with exceptional needs as defined in Education Code Section 56026 may participate in independent study unless his/her individualized education program (IEP) specifically provides for that participation.
- No temporarily disabled pupil may receive individual instruction pursuant to Education Code Section 48206.3 through independent study. However, if the temporarily disabled student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) and the district agree, the pupil may receive instruction through independent study instead of receiving the “home and hospital” instruction provided pursuant to Education Code Section 48206.3.
- The district shall provide services and resources substantially equivalent to classroom instruction to enable pupils to complete their independent study successfully and shall ensure that the independent study pupil has the same access to all existing services and resources in the school in which the pupil is enrolled as is available to all other pupils in the school. If the student does not have a computer or Chromebook and/or access to the Internet, the district shall provide them to the student.
- Pupils who request independent study must make a major commitment and must be assisted or supported, as necessary, by parents/guardians and others who may help directly with instruction.
- If I decide to transition back to in-person instruction at my home school, I will be able to do so within five days of the request. Although you will have placement in an AESD school, there is no guarantee that space will be available at your home school.
To the student, I agree to…
- All grade levels log in to a Zoom Link for a minimum of one hour per school day.
- If I do not log in and participate at least three days per week, my parent(s)/guardian(s) will be notified and a pupil-parent-educator conference will be scheduled to review this written agreement and reconsider my placement in the Independent Study program.
- Complete and turn in my work no more than one week after it is assigned. Work will be turned in electronically or physically dependent on assignment type and requirement.
- Complete my assigned work and achieve at least the minimum performance requirements of the course of study. I understand that a grade and/or point value, which is based on mastery of learning, can only be issued after I have successfully completed an activity and it has been evaluated.
- All grade levels participate in the daily live synchronous interaction with the teacher.
- Make satisfactory educational progress (Education code 51747) by regularly participating in the live interaction and/or synchronous instruction, completing and turning in my assignments on time, completing all asynchronous time requirements, and successfully completing my course of study as directed by my supervising teacher. Failure to do so will result in a pupil-parent-educator conference. If needed, as determined during the conference, I will be connected with health and/or social services.
As a Parent/Guardian, I agree to the above conditions listed under Student. I also understand that…
- The major objective of Independent Study is to provide a voluntary educational alternative for my son or daughter.
- Individual course objectives are consistent with and evaluated in the same manner that they would be if he/she were enrolled in a traditional program.
- I am liable for the cost of replacement or repair for willfully damaged or destroyed books and other school property checked out to my son/ daughter.
- I have a right to request a pupil-parent-educator conference at any time.
- I have the right to decide to send my child back to his/her home school for in-person instruction. Once I make the request the transition will take place within five days. Although you will have placement in an AESD school, there is no guarantee that space will be available at your home school.
Do not continue, if you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement.